The Daily Saga - Frittata / Omelette
What’s the difference between the two?
1. Frittata is an egg-based dish similar to an omelette or quiche, enriched with additional ingredients.
2. Frittata is made with well-beaten eggs cooked on the stove in a hot skillet or pan until outer edges are set and then transferred to the oven. Frittatas are cooked on a pan first and then finished in the oven.
3. For omelette, everything is folded in the centre.
4. Frittata continues to cook once removed from the oven due to residual heat. Therefore, make sure you’re checking in between to get a perfectly fluffy texture. If it smells like sulphur or is dry and spongy, it's overcooked ☹
5. Omelettes are usually made for 1 serving whereas frittatas can be made for many by increasing the quality using larger baking and muffin trays.
6. Use more eggs and veggies to increase the thickness.
A simple Recipe -1
1. Take a bowl and add finely chopped onions or shallots, red bell peppers, parsley/coriander, shredded cheese or other ingredients available at home like diced potatoes, carrots (this will require precooking) mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, spinach, broccoli, milk, toppings like olives, cherry tomatoes, basil, chives and so on…
2. If you don’t have a skillet use a pan and it can be done on the stove just make sure you do this first. Heat up the pan well add oil and egg mixture. Reduce the heat completely, cover with a lid and allow it to cook for 10 min. You will notice it’s cooked-on top as well and no slimy or raw egg is seen. Flip it over carefully with a flat spoon. Use a plate to flip if it’s big. Once cooked on the other side, slowly remove it on a flat plate or a board. Cut into slices using a pizza cutter or a knife and serve.
3. If you’re using a skillet or a pan then it can go into the oven. Follow the first step till you’ add the egg mixture on the pan. Allow it to cook for 1-2 min and then slip it into the oven.
Go ahead a make an EGGSQUISITE frittata!
Serves: 5-6 persons
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1. 6 eggs
2. 2 medium-sized white onion (preferably), finely chopped
3. 2 tbsp potatoes, cut into small cubes
4. 2-3 cloves garlic, finely cubed
5. 2-3 tbsp heavy cream or any fresh cream (low fat can also be used)
6. 4-5 thin slices of beef bacon, chicken salami or chicken mortadella, cut into squares(optional)
7. ½ cup parmesan cheese (Grana Padano) or cheddar cheese instead
8. 2 tsp basil leaves or parsley, chopped
9. Salt to taste
10. Freshly ground pepper for seasoning
11. Olive oil
Here We Go
1. Take a non-stick pan. Add oil and fry the garlic for a few seconds.
2. Add the onions and potatoes together and cook till half done (do not brown the mixture)
3. Remove cool and put this in a deep bowl.
4. Take the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the cream, cheese, basil leaves, salt, and pepper, and mix well. Pour this mixture into the onion and potato bowl and combine everything together.
5. Take a greased baking dish and pour this mixture over it and bake on the top rack at 180 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes till a golden-brown color appears on top.