The Daily Saga - Sukki Dal (split yellow lentils)
This Sukki Dal is an easy to cook meal that goes very well with roti or paratha (Indian bread). It was taught to me by a helper who worked for one of my neighbour's. Her personal touch and unique style of preparing food compelled me to learn a few dishes from her.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15- 20 minutes
1. 1 cup Moong dal (split yellow lentils)
2. 1 onion, finely chopped
3. 1 tomato, finely chopped
4. ½- 1 tsp. garlic paste
5. ¼- ½ tsp turmeric powder
6. ½ tsp red chilli powder
7. ¼ tsp. roasted cumin powder(coarsely ground)
8. ¾ tsp. fennel seeds
9. 3 round dry red chillies
10. A few coriander leaves
11. Oil and ghee
Here We Go
1. Roast the moong dal on a pan till medium brown. Remove wash and soak for ½ hour.
2. In a cooking dish, add oil and saute the onions with fennel seeds
3. Next, tomatoes, season with salt, turmeric and red chilli powder. Cook till soft.
4. Add the dal into this, mix well, add ½ cup hot water and cook on low flame checking regularly and adding water if required to make sure its cooked with no raw taste and mushy texture (as shown in the image)
5. Add cumin powder, temper with ghee and red chillies.
6. Sprinkle coriander leaves, salt if required. Serve hot with your choice of bread.